Lawrence D. Mandel is an accomplished attorney who has focused his practice on intellectual property litigation for more than 25 years. Attorney Mandel has extensive experience handling matters related to copyrights, trademarks, patents and related intellectual property issues. Larry also handles a wide array of privacy law issues, providing clients with counseling and litigation in cases involving trade secrets, right of publicity claims, invasion of privacy and defamation. He lends his knowledge in this area to fellow attorneys as a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association’s Privacy Law Committee.
Larry’s devotion to this area of law stems from his own background as a musician and composer. Before joining the legal profession, he attended the world-renowned Berklee College of Music, graduating with a professional diploma in film scoring in 1981. He then pursued his passion throughout law school, serving as Articles Editor for the Rutgers Computer and Technology Law Journal and writing an article on digital copyright protection for computer programs. Throughout the course of his career, he has been trusted by clients throughout the United States to provide their products with the protection they needed to grow and prosper.
Beyond his familiarity in the field of arts and entertainment, Larry handles intellectual property issues for a diverse array of industries, including cosmetics, oriental rugs, computer software, hardware and related accessories, restaurants, clothing and real estate.
- Intellectual property litigation
- Internet trademark law
- Copyright and trademark litigation
- False advertising
- Employment litigation
- International trademark law
- Entertainment law
- Copyright and trademark licensing
- Copyright and trademark prosecution
- Franchises and franchising
- Trade secrets
- Trade dress
- Right of publicity
- Software copyright
- New Jersey, 1989
- Pennsylvania, 1989
- New York, 1992
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1992; U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1992; U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, 1992; U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal and 2nd Circuits, 1992
- Rutgers University Law School, J.D., with honors, Order of the Coif, 1989
- Articles Editor, Rutgers Computer and Technology Law Journal, 1988-1989
- Berklee College of Music, Professional Diploma in Film Scoring, cum laude, 1981
- University of Connecticut, B.S., 1976
Professional affiliations and memberships
- New Jersey State Bar Association; Member, Privacy Law Committee; Philadelphia Bar Association; American Bar Association; Member, Patent, Trademark and Copyright Law Forum on Entertainment and Sports Industries; Participant, International Trademark Association
- Tufenkian Import/Export Ventures v. Einstein-Moomjy, 338 F.3d 127 (2d Cir. 2003)
- “Digital Communications Associates, Inc. v. Softklone Distributing Corporation: Copyright Protection for the Status Screen of a Computer Program,” Rutgers Computer and Technology Law Journal, Vol. 15, No. 1, 1989.